Balfour Beatty Communities
Title: Maintenance Technician
FLSA Classification: Hourly, Non-exempt
Supervisor: Maintenance Supervisor for daily activities and Community Manager for performance feedback
Job Purpose: The Maintenance Technician is responsible for completing assigned maintenance work orders for residential customers by performing general maintenance and repair of appliances, buildings, and equipment with strong customer service skills.
Typical Physical Demands: Regularly use hands to manipulate tools, machinery, equipment, supplies, and office equipment. Frequently stand, reach with hands and arms, climb ladders, balance, and stoop. Sit and stand to do clerical work. Regularly lift and move equipment and supplies up to 50 lbs.
Typical Work Conditions: Work is performed in and outside a maintenance/machinery environment and in and outside residential properties. Employee frequently interacts directly with residents, maintenance and communities’ staff during the workday.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Completes maintenance tasks for all assigned work orders efficiently and in a quality manner.
2. Performs wide variety of maintenance duties including but not limited to:
• Sewer lateral
• Glass repair
• Screen repair
• Roofing repair
• Siding • Interior door and trim repair or replacement
• Exterior door and storm door repair or replacement
• Ceramic tile, sheet vinyl and vinyl composition tile repair or replacement
• Stair and railing repair or replacement
• Locksmith work
• Turning of vacant units
3. Organizes and files all work order paperwork to ensure both tracking and response.
4. Responds to emergency maintenance requests as scheduled per company standards
5. Communicates regularly with supervisors as work is assigned and completed.
6. Updates supervisors as necessary on supplies and parts needs and appliance inventory.
7. Communicates regularly with community office staff on work order status for move ins and move outs.
8. Attends and assists with LifeWorks events as needed.
9. Driving company vehicle.
10. Will be required to participate in on-call rotation
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Planning/organizing - Ability to organize work, set priorities and make productive use of time.
2. Adaptability - Ability to accept changes in the work environment manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
3. Communication and Contact – Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company.
4. Attendance and Dependability – Ability to consistently report to work on time at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough matter and is conscientious, about assignments.
5. Relationships with Others– Ability to work effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works, to maintain constructive working relationships.
6. Safety - Provides a safe working environment for employees, co-workers, and individuals inside and outside of the company.
7. Values – Ability to work effectively and display the Company values of:
a) Integrity – We always do what is right.
b) Teamwork – We are better together.
c) Excellence – We strive to improve and to exceed expectations.
d) Respect – We appreciate others and care about the wider communities.
Requires ongoing coordination, communication and/or team problem solving between departments or functional areas of work production or service quality.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. Incumbents may be asked by their supervisor or managers to perform other duties. Incumbents will be evaluated in part based upon their performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
The Company has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment and either you or the Company may terminate employment at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice (subject to applicable laws).
High school graduate level of competence in English and mathematics.
One to three years of general maintenance and or specialized maintenance work experience.
Electrical, plumbing, carpentry and or HVAC experience is required in addition to trouble shooting general equipment and appliance repairs.
EPA certification from an accredited institution.
Possession of a valid state issued Driver’s License and safe driving record is required as applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess basic skills with tools and have the ability to work with limited supervision.
Must be available for night/weekend emergency call duty.
Employer Contact Information