1. Supervises movement of inmates and maintains control in all assigned areas. Adjusts to assignments dictated by changing workload.
2. Performs security checks and routine shakedowns searches on each shift to ensure security. Inspects each inmate to verify armband, identity, location, and physical condition to the count sheet or other necessary reports.
3. Enters and accesses information in the computer. Prints rosters and reports that require a clear, written description of an event.
4. Assists in the admittance and release of prisoners.
5. Informs inmates of pod rules and the inmates' personal responsibilities.
6. Maintains an awareness of inmates at all times, checks physical and mental conditions, and takes notice of any abnormal circumstances.
7. Walks, listens, converses, mingles, and interacts with inmates to identify or prevent problems.
8. Determines which methods and tactics are appropriate for correcting inmate behavior by applying progressive discipline consistently.
9. Follows appropriate procedures under extraordinary circumstances and remains calm to maintain security of facility and safety of all personnel.
10. Resists inmate attempts to manipulate, distract, or interfere with operations of the pod. Resolves minor problems/conflicts before they escalate into major problems.
11. Confiscates items, removes inmate from pod, or uses OC Pepper Spray, if necessary.
12. In emergency situations, activates PAT device, evacuates inmates to appropriate areas, extinguishes small fires, etc.
13. Exchanges relevant information with relief co-worker and communicates information to superiors.
14. Attends and successfully completes Annual In-Service Training.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.