Positively impact the lives of youth in the care of the Department of Juvenile Justice through the collaborative creation and maintenance of a safe, therapeutic, and educational environment in facilities. Provide support, guidance, and structure for our detained youth by modeling, encouraging, and reinforcing pro-social behaviors to include patience, empathy, cooperation, professionalism, and respect.
- Assumes responsibility for the custody, security, and care of youth through adherence to policies and standard operating procedures governing the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice.
- Provides direct support, guidance, and structure for detained youth with an emphasis on safety, personal conduct, care, and rehabilitation.
- Provides security through contraband searches, security counts, and supervision of assigned youth in housing units, classroom areas, and other facility areas; and performs security checks of various assigned areas.
- Maintains order and discipline by intervening with youth through active supervision and controlling inappropriate youth behavior to maintain a safe and secure environment. Supervises the movement and transition of youth, both within and outside of designated facilities, in transit to and from other facilities, and during temporary leave.
- Promotes the development of adaptive behavior in youth through the use of positive reinforcements, effective redirection and verbal coaching, and active modeling of desired behaviors.
- Screens visitors and staff upon entry to a secure facility to control contraband and prevent unauthorized access.
- Utilizes various security equipment and technology to successfully support the safety and well-being of youth served in facilities.